Sunday, July 8, 2012

Artist Block

As an assemblage artist I find myself often, not lost for ideas, but at a lost for supplies to visualize the ideas. My husband and I spent Friday looking all over a local town for junktiques...antiques that I can afford to buy to add to my art pieces. We went home happy and full of bags to begin. A lunch at Super Taco and then to the studio....where I sat, and sat. I have found myself now at a loss for motivation...the weekend is never a good time to start a piece, how can it be with amazing little ones running around hoping for your time to spend with them?

As my husband tried to help motivate me by constantly reminding me to, "Go make Art!" I headed down to the studio with little feet following. As my current new piece is about little boys I began going through my bags of new finds which are mostly old boy toys. I began frustrated at Abrum who was so excited to see what else I had found for him to play with. Then I realized that watching him play was just what I was trying to capture and I listened and watched where he placed everything and how he used the toys. And then I realized, once again, that time is precious and we will never again have this day together so back up the stairs away from the studio we went...to play.

And as I sit here in the early morning hours watching Electric Company with my babies, explaining and teaching every chance I can I realize what a struggle it is for a mother to be an artist.... Perhaps that will be another piece...

Tomorrow the studio, today the babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment